Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Where the sidewalk ends

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the street begins,
And there the grass grows soft and white,
And there the sun burns crimson bright,
And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
To cool in the peppermint wind.

Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends.

Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.

I doubt this is a new poem to anyone, but I chose it anyway because it was one of my favorites growing up. I read this so many times when I was little i could rehearse it perfectly, much to the annoyance of my parents. It is simple in wording and seemingly easy to understand-- as a child I certaintly thought I understood it--- but it has an x factor, some energy that is perhaps born out of the wording Silverstein uses that just makes this poem really resonante, and stick; staying power and energy are two things I really admire in a poem, and for me this poem really captures both those qualities. As a more educated student now, I can look back on this and dissect it for meaning, but sometimes I just prefer not to. Just like the lion king has all sorts of wonderful meaning below the surface, this poem whose target audience is children is not limited at all, yet also like the Lion King, to me it is something to savor and enjoy instead of just coldly analyze.

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading this poem in fourth grade and not really taking the time to try to understand it. Reading it now, I think it holds a really positive message for kids and adults alike. That space beyond what is expected of us and what is predictable is where the fascinating parts of life really exist. I think as adults we need to be reminded of this more.

    ReplyDelete