Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Short Stories-Reading Response

All of the three short stories had something different to offer when it came to the elements of story, plot, and dialogue. I am not sure if there is a right or wrong way of writing a short story, but personally, I found that "Coping Stones" was the most successful in comprehending what was actually going on. The other two short stories were unique but at some point in both stories I felt lost. In "Hills Like White Elephants, I found that there was too much dialogue and not enough story. I am not sure if the story was meant have a mysterious demeanor or if the only way I could understand was "reading between the lines" but I thought I wanted to know more about the characters. Hemingway did an excellent job with describing the scene which is always important but getting thrown in the middle of everything without a hint as to what the plot is can be confusing. This also happens in "San Francisco". I am placed in the middle of this story with the character talking about tremors and a watch and I am wanting more of a plot or more of a description the setting. I am someone who loves dialogue in writing, but I also like to have a feel for the characters and what is going on as well.

1 comment:

  1. You're absolute right! Each story did have something different to offer. As I was reading other people's comments I found that they tended to like Hemingway's story more than the others. It's funny that Hemingway's story was the longest and yet provided so much more clarification than the shorter stories. I don't think Hemingway's story was perfect but it had a good balance of dialogue and description.

    ReplyDelete