Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Reading Repsonse - Flannery O'Connor

This is not the first time that I have read this story, but every time I read it I like it more and more. The story identifies the whole idea between good and bad, that's pretty obvious from the constant dialogue in the story that refers constantly to the idea of what is a good man. I decided to use it as an inspiration to write my own story for the workshop. (I like the idea of using other's examples as inspiration jeje).

I find it funny how when the Misfit encounters the grandmother she claims him to be a good man, but only for the sake of saving herself, and in that he disapproves and kills her anyway. Then I come to think who is actually good in the story? The grandmother's personality in my opinion isn't a "good" person for the sake of having basically caused the whole situation. There's also a lot of religious context inside the story and a lot of symbolism based on the idea of being saved by a higher power.

This story makes me think about human nature and whether being good or bad is a truth based upon the ideas that society influences the basis of moral on us. I've thought about this before and always end up losing myself, but in this story there is some kind of clarity regarding the subject because what we may believe to be good, based on status or position, may actually turn out to be just as bad as what we know to be bad, for example killing others or letting go of what you believe in order to save yourself, and only yourself, which is what the grandmother tried to do before the misfit killed her.

No comments:

Post a Comment