Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Week 9 Response

"A Good Man is Hard to Find"


Wow, what a short story! I must admit that when I was reading the story, I kept on wondering what is the point? I guess I'm one of the those readers who loses interest easily. However once I saw where the story was going I was hooked. I kind of figured that the clan would encounter Mr. Misfit on the journey because the grandma kept on mentioning him (she couldn't keep her mouth shut). However where does "a good man is hard to find" come into the picture? It is a true statement but it's also applicable to the granny too. She is not as good as she makes herself out to be. I felt bad for the granny at first because everyone ignored her and there was a lack of respect given to her as an elder. However, couldn't she have kept her mouth shut for 5 minutes and spared the lives of her family but NOT identifying Misfit? She deters the journey of the entire group just so she can do something that she wishes which is inconsiderate. I did do some research on the story because I felt like there was a greater meaning which has influenced my current feelings about granny. 


I feel like the beginning really started off slow. I was getting annoyed with the personalities of the children and the lack of personality from the mother. I think this was deliberate. Flannery definitely built upon the story little by little. I didn't see the meaning of the event between grandma and Red. However it gives reference to the title being that a good man is hard to find. I think this is applicable to not only men but women in general. Upon her attempt to avoid death, she brings Jesus into the picture but she is phony, not a "real" Christian. One of the last statements Misfit says is SO powerful where he means that if Granny had lived her life like she had a guy pointed to her face she would've been a better person. It really makes you think about your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment