Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Reading Response-Homework by Allen Ginsberg

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/179389 It took me awhile to decide on which poem I should choose because I don't read poetry on a regular basis to have a particular favorite. While there are hundreds of poets who write thousands of poems, I decided to choose mine based on topic rather than on the person. I knew I wanted my poem to have a contemporary feeling, with a strong voice towards a cause, yet had a "somewhat" light tone to it. After a couple hours of searching, I finally found "Homework by Allen Ginsberg. I have heard of him before but never took the time to read his work. He was most popular during the 1950's-during the "beat generation" which was filled with young poets who openly expressed their views on sex, drugs, and politics. "Homework" was written in the 1980's, a time where many activism campaigns against war, pollution, and injustice became a global phenomenon with the help of media influence. Ginsberg wanted to address his opinions on these issues be comparing the problems of the world to dirty laundry. In "Homework" Allen Ginsberg makes a list of deep cleansing different parts of the world, so we can see the beauty of what once was, before modern influence. As someone who feels similar to Ginsberg on this particular topic, I believe it is a great metaphor. He addresses these important issues, that need to be taken very seriously, in a way that most can relate to. Also, the voice in the poem is a strong force that does not need a rhyme scheme or a specific structure. Free verse is the perfect style for this poem because sometimes all you need are powerful words and a powerful stance to become poetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment