Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Pleasure of Letting Go


There were several points from Kyoko Mori’s essay that I really enjoyed. First of all, I was quite interested in the topic. As soon as she began running through the steps of feeding and nurturing the birds I was reminded of helping my friend, Jessie, take care of foster puppies from the humane society. I thought she was able to easily and accurately convey the joy of taking care of other beings and also the bittersweet moments of release. It’s an interesting and satisfying feeling to have people or animals rely on you. The tone of her essay made me feel like she was a teacher.  She even referenced it in the second to last paragraph when she said the trick to raising birds was a balance of compassion and authority. I also liked when she mentioned that along with writing, raising birds has given her pleasure in letting go. I also feel optimistic when I hand in a story and there’s definitely an air of excitement and hope that accompanies writing. I thought at times this story was a bit like reading an instruction manual because she focused so much on the process of taking care of the birds. But at the end I felt content with the message and thought it was a good and accessible story. 

1 comment:

  1. The story was less interesting for me because I have little interest in birds. I didn't think it read as an instruction manual. I really liked how she moved from one idea to another.

    ReplyDelete