Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Joan Didion, "Goodbye to All That"


This was a perfectly crafted nonfiction story. It actually seemed more like fiction because of how lively the narrative was. I loved how distinct Joan’s passion was. She was so driven to be successful, on her own, that she refused to ask her father for food money. Even though she always needed money she didn’t worry about it because she realized how many ways she could earn some if she was really desperate. “I could stay up all night and make mistakes, and none of them would count”(Didion, 2). I think that something cool about her style is that she was able to convey a sense confidence and clarity that balanced out her naivety. The fact that she lived in New York for 8 years, but never settled in, was interesting. It was like she was living in a fantasy world and she knew that one day she would wake up and be an adult.
The imagery in this piece is fantastic. Every moment flows into the next as if She’s sitting with you having a casual conversation. Her style is so natural and accessible. I loved her point about having beginnings practically engraved in your brain, but endings can sometimes sneak up on you. Then you wonder where did the time go? How did I get to this new place and become a new person in such a swift motion? I liked how she conveyed youth a being confusing and innocent. When she arrived in New York she was worried about climate change and tipping people incorrectly. She found even mundane things to be beautiful just because it was New York. I loved how Joan integrated the concept of being at the fair too long to describe the 8-year ordeal. At first everything was exciting and breathtaking, but by the end everyone is tired and needs to go home. Her words brought everything to life without hitting me over the head with detail. I found her situations to be very relatable, and I look forward to reading more of her work.

2 comments:

  1. I never really thought about it like that but she was able to condense 8 years into 5 or 6 pages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her voice really was excellent, wasn't it. :) I like how you mentioned it seemed more like fiction because of how well the story flowed. It does seem more like something someone would dream up instead of the reality of the daily grind that is life.

    ReplyDelete