Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Reading Response: The Pleasure of Letting Go

At first, I thought that Kyoko Mori's essay would be about a child or a family member so I was surprised to learn that it was about her hobby of raising baby birds. I found her style very easy to read, smooth, and coherent. unlike many essayists, she doesn't go off wild tangents but rather sticks to the main topic which really helps the readers focus solely on what's being said. I love her use of imagery when describing her birds' feeding rituals and how they slowly transitioned from the infancy stage of their lives to that of adulthood.
In addition, I found that Kyoko's essay really had a sense of closure to it. She started off by talking about one particular summer in Wisconsin and managed to create a very broad message towards the end of her essay. I think it's crucial for a writer to leave the readers reflecting on their own lives after reading what they have written and Mori has done that brilliantly.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the sense of closure and the reflection that came with it. Immediately after I finished the story I thought about how I used to help my friend take care of foster puppies from the humane society and the joy that came from that. Also all the steps and instruction that needed to be followed in order to keep the puppies healthy were similar to the birds. I think it was a very relatable story.

    ReplyDelete