Saturday, November 26, 2011

RR: I'm just getting to the disturbing part

If I were to tack on a label to this nonfiction essay, I would call it cerebral. Entirely dealing with death and fear of death, the author recounts an instance where he and his friends attempted to save a drowning person's life, and managed to connect this with the past (the passing of the author's brother) and the future (the author's paternal wariness of water, especially when it comes to his son).
     I really enjoyed this essay. One thing I've personally noticed about nonfiction creative essays is that once I start reading one, it's hard for me to stop. Such is not the case with fiction, or other types of creative writing. In fact, I almost never find it difficult to stick through a creative nonfiction essay. But it wasn't the fact that it was a nonfiction essay that made this piece so good.
     This essay was incredibly revealing on a personal level. What started out as a story about a hot summer day ended as remembrance to the author's late brother, with a traumatic, neurosis-inducing incident in between. The author masterfully weaved through layers of introspection and scene, allowing the reader to observe the effects of what happened on the author's psyche.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting take on the story. I'm also a fan of nonfiction essays, and I enjoyed this one too... great blog !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the author did a great job blending "introspection and scene." He took something very action-packed and managed to include an introspective aspect even while he was in the water looking for the kid.

    ReplyDelete