Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Reading Response-"Goodbye to All That"

A lot of praise should be given to the writer who can write non-fiction that is actually interesting. I don't know why, but I feel that there is a difficulty in writing what is real and captivating your reader at the same time. When writing fiction, you can be creative and have this wild imagination and pretty much go wherever you want, no matter how bizarre it might seem. Non fiction, more specifically personal essays and memoirs, for the most part have to stick to the truth and only through great writing, can someone make truth seem interesting and not boring. Also, when writing non fiction, I have a fear of writing more for myself and less for the reader-this may or may not make sense. A reader is not going to be captivated by a piece if it doesn't they don't get anything out of the story-whether it be humor, or a life lesson. When I read a boring piece of non fiction, my mind wanders because I can not relate to anything and nothing grabs my attention. Now, how does this spiel relate to "Goodbye To All That"? It relates, because I found this to be an excellent piece of non fiction. It relates because I can relate. This story is basically about Joan Didion's life in New York during her twenties. It is about being young and completely in love with the "magic" of the city. As I will soon be entering my twenties, I dream of moving and making memories in the city as a young and bright eyed twenty-something. Even though Joan Didion's story isn't all about the excitement of New York, as she did deal with depression for a while, her relatable story along with witty writing helps me (the reader) appreciate her sharing a moment of her past.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I think this story is especially relatable to the young 20 something year olds who dream of going to the big city.

    ReplyDelete