Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Reading Response 12

Goodbye to All That
I liked this nonfiction piece. It reminded me of myself and my ambitions to go to NYC for school. I agree with author: New York is for the young and not the old or faint of heart for that matter.
This piece definitely falls into the category of creative nonfiction. The author is so vivid with her descriptions, especially smells.  The smells of NYC are what help her to remember the moments during that time of her life.
As I was reading, I felt lost at times because I didn’t know what the author was talking about with some of names used or descriptions. Nonetheless, I got the general idea. My only question is why wasn’t this story about California rather than NYC? She started out writing the story as if she was still her young self in love with NYC but as we later find out, she’s older and not in love anymore. So why not have written a story in the present about California? It is the place she is originally from and where she currently lives (I believe).

No comments:

Post a Comment