Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Reading response, The Pleasure of Letting Go

I really liked this essay. One because it was written very well, and two because I’m a fan of just about anything that involves animals. I admire that the writer managed to write about something that would expectedly be unexciting and make it interesting and informative as well. While reading this piece I really felt the connection and fascination he had with the birds, and I think that was part of the reason it worked well.

I couldn’t help but think that this might be about more than just birds. I have a tendency to overanalyze so this may be off base, but while reading I took some of the descriptions of bird as a sort of metaphor/ commentary on different types of peoples, and different societies on a broader level. I wonder if this was his intention, or if it was another meaning or entirely, or was this really just written to document the author’s experience with birds? If so, what was the purpose? Was it a self-reflective piece, or an article for a journal?

Regardless, it was still very enjoyable. I think that something like this would be easy to do from a writer’s perspective, because when you are passionate about something you generally have a lot to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment