Sunday, September 25, 2011

A story about the body

I have read many fantastic, arituclate, and impactful stories. None of them, however, were as short and presisce as Robert Hass's " A Story About the Body". At frist glance, it is insignificant; not much mroe than a long paragraph. After reading it though, it was obvious that its content far exceeds its apparent simplicity. In the short passage, I was connected to the real, strong, emotion of the characters, made aware of the intimate conflict, and left with a sense of wanting more, all with extremely limited character description.

This has to be story telling at its finest. Every sentence in the passage was crucial to the main point, and they all worked together to perfectly deliver the message. It was like a snapshot of real life pain and reality.

As I have said before, Burroway's text is helpful, but it is these stories that are really helping me with my writing. The fact that the intense message, commentary, and emotion could be delivered through so little words helped me alot in reagrads to my own writing, where I feel like I sometimes go to far in trying to lay out the story and make connection with the characters through alot of deatail, and alot of words.

From this weeks readings, I learned that it is often the word selection and arrangement, and not the word count, that can be key to succesfully creating a story.

1 comment:

  1. Jorden, I'm glad you liked this so much! What, specifically, did you think was so helpful about it?

    ReplyDelete