Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Reading Response: Week 5

Poetry… I can without a doubt say that I was not looking forward to this week. Poetry has always been hard for me to understand and let’s not forget boring. When you’re reading something you don’t understand it always seems more boring. However poetry is a form of creative writing so I just got to get you used to it, right? So for this week, I chose the poem by John Donne, “Death, be not proud”. I can say that I do not fully understand it but I understood it more than the other poems. In this poem death is personified. It is something that is alive because it should “be not proud.” Death is not as powerful as it appears. Death does not decide but it is other things like fate, kings, poison, war, and so on that decide whether someone is to die or not. And even after this the person can still awake and live again but eternally or heaven. Perhaps I could have this poem totally wrong. However, I do find that it is encouragement to someone who may have lost someone. During the time when this poem was written, people died from all sorts of things which have become a nuisance today. Perhaps this poem had greater significance during Donne’s time but nonetheless still applicable today. People continue to die every day, it’s a part of life but it is good to know that they will live on forever where death doesn’t exist.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea that one lives on after death certainly does help ease some of the horror people feel at their own mortality. Good point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby, how did you see John Donne constructing this poem in order to communicate that point? What does he do?

    ReplyDelete