Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Poem “I knew a Woman” Reading Response: Roethke

The poem “I Knew a Woman” by Theodore Roethke was very enjoyable to read. Usually when someone asks you what a poem is about and you tell them it’s about how much a man admires a woman, they’re turned off. This poem in particular is written in such a way, that you can’t consider it like the rest. The metaphors Roethke uses to compare this woman to beautiful figures is so out-of-the-box that they’re unexpected as you read along. Those little surprises are what make the poem so much better. It adds a creative flavor to his voice.

When he says “small birds sighed, she would sigh back at them” it made me think of a fairytale. As the princess is looking out the window, waiting for her true love to come, she sees an awaiting bird. As it whistles, she listens and mimics them. Basically it’s a beautiful sight as is the woman he’s describing in the poem. He goes on to describe how she was a gentle soul and a giving person by mentioning that he “nibbled meekly from her proffered hand”. Obviously this man worships her and is ecstatic when graced by her presence. From his descriptions of her, he’s definitely infatuated by her. His descriptions are very detailed and precise. He puts things in a way to where you can envision their actions between one another. He talks about this woman from head to toe. He goes on to talk about even her knees saying “My eyes, they dazzled at her flowing knees.” This guy is basically obsessed with her, but I can respect that. I can appreciate him for not making this another simple love story.

Roethke as a poet has made me look at poetry in an entire new light. Things don’t always have to be as simplistic as they seem. With a couple of phrases and new comparisons, you have a work of art. This poem was refreshing to read and I’m glad I chose to annotate this poem because it shed a new light on me as a writer. Poetry doesn’t have to be cliché; what matters is who’s writing it.

3 comments:

  1. What do we learn about his character? Her character?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a little jealous of your reaction to this poem, poetry tends to just wash over me without catching on my mind. I read the same poem you did and missed many of the elements it contained until you pointed them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We learned that he was a frivolous man who cared about nothing else but her. She embraced his advances and took advantage of his worship. She did nothing but simply look pretty. It was like he was an artist painting her onto a canvas. It was pure beauty.

    ReplyDelete