Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Poetry Home Repair Manual - Kooser

Yet another guide to writing, but this time for poems. Kooser begins his book in a similar way to Lamott by putting out there that you shouldn't write to get published or to make money, but write for yourself and for your audience. I think that is one of the most important points that Kooser makes, is that you always have to think about who you're writing for.

I really liked this guide, primarily because Kooser concentrates on providing examples of modern poetry, poetry of the "now," as he refers to it. I also was very enthusiastic about reading this as he did write the poem on the tattoo and I really enjoyed that poem, as it had so much to say and be interpreted. Kooser emphasizes on starting out simple, not trying to be too obscure when approaching poems and being clear about what you are trying to say, while still using certain techniques while still accomplishing the whole idea of "showing without telling." For a writer, not only aiming towards poetry, but any writer, I think it is important that someone else can read your work and also get something out of it, because if you're the only person who understands it, then how do you expect any interpretation or someone else to relate in one way or another?

Another interesting part of Kooser's manual is the terms he uses and how he goes around defining and giving examples for them. In contrast to Burroway, I really like how he takes either his own poems, or poems from other author's and allows us to see what he is trying to point out. All in all, I think the book is very helpful and I liked it. I think it flows nicely between the chapters, and Kooser gives short yet concise advice and suggestions which I think I will take a lot from in order to become a better writer.

2 comments:

  1. Maxine, yes! I loved the part of the book where Kooser says that people who say they just write for themselves are full of it. :-) I love that he says of course, all writers write for themselves at some time or another, but that generally, writers want to be read/heard. Good post!

    ReplyDelete