Sunday, September 4, 2011

Bird By Bird Response Journal



            If I had to choose one lesson from Bird by Bird that will stick with me it would be it’s okay to be frustrated with writing. I’ve definitely been taken over by spurts of inspiration in the past, but more often then not I have to wrestle with writers block. I really liked Lamott’s Polaroid simile. The example created a fantastic image in my head of ideas tumbling out of my mind like patches of light emerging from a black abyss. Then the original, raw form of grainy disorganization slowing transforms into a solid and intriguing picture. She really hit the mark with that chapter.

I also liked, at the end of the Polaroids chapter, her explanation of how her article, on the special Olympics basketball game, was writing itself. “I imagined describing the game for my article and then for my students: the loudness, the joy…all of a sudden my article began to appear out of the grayish green murk…you would have felt like you could write all day” (42). She helped reinforce that writing stories, even short stories, requires a ton of patience and time. You can’t write a novel in one day even if you have a truly stellar idea. The best things you can do are write when you feel compelled and draw from personnel experience.

What I love about Anne Lamott’s writing is that it’s clever but also accessible. Our life experiences are quite different, but when I read her stories I felt as though I could always relate in some way. I do enjoy challenging myself by reading poetry and stories that require a bit of excavating through beautifully written, though arguably foreign, language. I can’t deny, however, that I’m often the most inspired by authors who engage me instantly and effortlessly. I guess because that’s the type of writer I hope to be.  

2 comments:

  1. Julie, I love that you took away the idea that it's okay to be frustrated with writing -- because sometimes you will be! But I hope also that you will have those moments that make the frustration worthwhile! good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the Polaroid chapter was really interesting, because Lamott took so much from one experience, which was in reality someone else's experience, but she used it and made it her own. I'm surprised the Polaroid chapter wasn't mentioned in class, or maybe it was and I wasn't paying attention :/ but the point is it's a great example of how we can take things from the outside and place them inside of us to create an experience for someone else.

    ReplyDelete