Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Response 4:Development & Revision

After doing the reading for this week, I realized that creative writing is a lot like acting in terms of the character study and immersion.

I found it helpful that in addition to drawing the similarities between acting and writing to my attention, she asked some useful questions: "What is [the work's] emotional core?" and finding out my "natural tendency" are great bits of advice. Thinking about it for awhile, I think that I am mostly one of those people who has an idea or message they want to convey instead of being the kind of writer who sets out on a mission and knows what kind of direction they are going to take. Usually, an idea pops into my head and I will scribble it down as soon as possible, and sometimes I just get in a mood where I really want to describe an emotion or thought and so I just start free-writing until I get tired out. Most of the time, I write so fast that I can't even read what I've just written and so I never do. I absolutely HATE to go bak and read my writing, even though I always have the intention to do so when I start. I'm hoping the insight on revision and development will help me out with that...

When she reveals that the big secret is to "stay in the room," and not overdo it with too many notes and to just absorb it and let your imagination take over, I really enjoyed it. I've heard a lot of songwriters discuss their process and many of them describe it as giving birth; you just take it in and let it develop in your head and then it all comes pouring out when you least expect it. For me, knowing that too much effort can work against me is comforting, and I'm glad that she says it.

Oh yeah, and David Foster Wallace's story was amazing. It is written in a way that, as I was reading it, I actually felt the hazy panic and hurried anxiety I would feel as the dad in that situation. There were so many ands, and it flows so nicely. Then, at the end, after the baby dies, there is a peaceful sadness that stops all that manic worrying. Very nice.

2 comments:

  1. I would definitely agree with you on your opinion of the David Foster Wallace story. I loved the swift motion of the writing as each sentence ran into the other. It is very similar to someone's thought process in times of panic. It was easier to visualize this scene with the way it was written because if there we pauses or slow areas, the impact would not be as great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reemi, I like the comparison you draw between writing and acting. Do you think we could say the same for any creative endeavor? I also wonder how you think Wallace manages to use these run on sentences without becoming distracting or taking the reader out of the moment. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete