Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Life Lessons in Writing

After reading Bird by Bird, I thought to myself if only life and growing up had a manual, similar to this.If there was a book where an author took you chapter by chapter explaining every little detail about becoming an adult, with comical and sarcastic stories along the way, then life would slightly be a little easier for us all. Yet, in a way, Lamott does combine writing techniques and life lessons in, not growing up and becoming and adult, but growing into a more creative and thoughtful writer. In the Introduction, Anne Lamott brings the reader back to her childhood and shows how events in her youth (whether it be growing up as an awkward kid or listening to her father and his friends) created this passion turned into profession. A lot of people can relate to this because, for some of us, our childhood is where we discovered what we could be, what we love, and how what we love could possibly influence others.
One aspect of the book that I truly found interesting was, how life, art, and passion intertwine to create inspiration and act as a teaching tool for young writers. Art is life and life is art. Lamott showcases this wonderfully by weaving stories of her son, her friends, and her family together to reassure that if stories are inspired by the comical moments in life then great! But if stories are also inspired moments of tragedy, then that's alright too.
One chapter that I could relate to is "Writer's Block". There have been so many times where I have this amazing idea for a poem, song, or story and I draw a blank. It's as if what I want to say is there, but there is a somewhat opaque wall that's keeping me from seeing it. After reading this book, I know now that taking a break for a while is a lot better than just giving up.

2 comments:

  1. Many people (including Nia) who've commented on this blog about Bird by Bird have had the same 'life lessons' vibe from it as I have. I drew a lot of her way of thinking from her writing. I feel like her social attitude and belief system is very much entwined with her style of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nia, I like that you found Writer's Block to be an interesting part of the book. I agree; I experience it, too! We'll talk more about it -- in class. Sometimes, it can be easier to say that we have writer's block than to actually do anything about it, huh?

    ReplyDelete