Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Response to Lamott's Bird By Bird

I found Anne Lamott's Bird By Bird, to be a very easy read, as well as a helpful book. Excluding the fact that she mentioned her dead friend Pammy, and her late father enough to make the book a bit of a downer for me, I enjoyed getting first hand insight into the writing process and everything that goes along with it. Overall, there were a few pieces of advice that I know I will try to keep in mind as I write from this point on, which basically revolve around not being afraid to fully express one-self or write terribly in order to improve as a writer.

While discussing plot, Lamott stressed that "plot grows out of character," and not vice versa. For some reason, I always find myself focused on the details of a certain plot idea that formulates out of whatever message I am pondering, without even scratching the surface of the people who will be involved; maybe spending more time on my characters and having a little faith in them will help make for a better end result. She basically describes characters as personified, unconscious manifestations that can be developed through words, which I found to be inspiring since the unconscious can pretty much be a source of limitless innovation if one knows how to properly extract it.

Lamott’s ‘one-inch picture frame’ metaphor also really spoke to me because of my tendency to get overwhelmed with the big-picture. To focus on that one inch frame in order to make it the best it can possibly be in terms of detail and clarity is definitely a piece of advice that I will carry with me. As someone who realizes that my tendency toward perfectionism is my handicap, I am now going to try and focus on each bit of my work rather than obsessing over my writing as a whole.

Finally, although I like and appreciate the fact that she played up the image of neurotic writer to get her points regarding effort, persistence, and self-doubt across, I think she may have taken it too far at certain points. To dedicate an entire chapter to jealousy seems unnecessary; it was at that point that I began to lose interest in the book. I would have liked to hear more about what she felt got her friend, or hated rival, published as opposed to how much she wanted to kill her. However, I understand that she is trying to help her readers comprehend the frustration and anxiety

1 comment:

  1. Reemi, good post! You're right in that some of her book is probably written for people who are not in their first creative writing class. But a lot of it is helpful and valuable for anyone who is writing! I'm glad you liked it and found some helpful advice! We'll keep this book in our back pockets all semester.

    ReplyDelete